This is one of my favorite desserts to make for my family, both because it uses whole, healthy ingredients (there's very little sugar to boot!) and because it comes together rather quickly. Once you get comfortable with this relatively simple recipe, you can make it whatever flavor you want or whatever fruit is currently in season.
This recipe is completely doable with a conventional oven--just follow the instructions as normal. HOWEVER. If you have a solar oven, this also works beautifully with that too! Just be sure to set your oven out to preheat for about an hour before you bake, as you would with any sun oven recipe.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour (OR! You can do 3/4 cup whole wheat flour and 1/4 cup whole-grain cornmeal for a nice texture and crunch.
- 2 T cane sugar
- dash of sea salt
- 1/4 cup fat (I prefer using butter or coconut oil)
- 1 t. almond extract (optional)
- 2 T water
- 2 eggs
- Fruit! I use the juice and zest of one lemon and one lime in the video below, but you can really use any fruit or juice that you want. As long as you have between 1/4 and 1/2 cup of fruit, you should be good to go. Try strawberry puree, blackberry jam, mashed mango with zested ginger, or whatever you happen to have on hand!
- 1/4 cup whole milk (can be optional as well, but not for me--I love the creaminess it imparts!)
- 3 T cane sugar (you can use up to 1/2 cup, but I really would recommend trying to put as little sugar as possible--the flavor of the fruit is so much more pronounced with less overpowering sweetness, and your body will thank you!)
- 1 T whole wheat flour
- 1 t. vanilla (optional)
Click the photo below to go to our quick video on how to make your lovely fruit tart.
As always, feel free to hit me up with any questions about how to use the Sun Oven or make this tart with it. I'm always happy to share what I'm learning! Thanks for reading. :)
We are a husband and wife who are trying to live simply. We are learning much as we transition from life in the city to life in the country. Come along with us, and maybe you can also learn a thing or two as well.
We love writing for these fine folks as well!
|Simple Life Homestead||
Simple Life Homestead